Two Million Travelers Fly Through Cambodia's International Airports | Cuban Ambassador Meets with Cambodian Minister of Environment to Strengthen Bilateral Ties | University Students’ Circularity Innovations Shine at HEINEKEN Cambodia’s Second Annual Sustainathon | Minister of Justice Launches New Government Working Groups in Battambang Districts |

Construction of Techo International Airport Nears Completion

PHNOM PENH, June 7, 2024 – The construction of the first phase of Techo International Airport, located across Kandal and Takeo provinces, has reached 75.8 percent completion, according to Sinn Chansereyvutha, Under-Secretary of State at the State Secretariat of Civil Aviation (SSCA). He shared this update during a press briefing on Thursday.

Chansereyvutha reported that the construction is on schedule, with the project expected to begin commercial operations in the first half of 2025. This update was provided following a recent site visit by senior SSCA officials, representatives from various airlines, and service provider firms, which took place on June 6.

The airport project is managed by Cambodia Airport Investment Co., Ltd., a public-private partnership primarily owned by the Overseas Cambodia Investment Corporation (OCIC), which holds a 90 percent share, while the remaining 10 percent is owned by the SSCA.

Designed to be a large-scale international hub of class 4F, Techo International Airport spans over 2,600 hectares. The construction is divided into three phases, with Phase 1 spanning 2020 to 2030, Phase 2 from 2030 to 2050, and Phase 3 beginning in 2050.

Once completed, the first phase of the airport will have the capacity to handle up to 13 million passengers and 175,000 tonnes of cargo annually.

Upon its inauguration, Techo International Airport is set to replace Phnom Penh International Airport as the main gateway to Cambodia. The country's international airports have seen significant traffic growth, handling 5.1 million passengers last year, which marks a 115 percent increase from the previous year.




Related News